– or more commonly known as WISE – is your gateway to information on European water issues. It comprises a wide range of of data and information collected by EU institutions to serve several stakeholders
WISE is a partnership between the European Commission (DG Environment, Joint Research Centre and Eurostat) and the European Environment Agency. The main roles and responsibilities of the partners are:
• DG Environment, leads the policy and strategic aspect of WISE. It liases with Member States, especially on official reporting requirements of EU water legislation.
For more information: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/water/index.html
• The European Environment Agency hosts the Water Data Centre and the thematic WISE webpages.
For more information: http://www.eea.europa.eu/themes/water/dc
• The Joint Research Centre conducts environmental monitoring and water resources modelling including nowcasting and forecasting services.
For more information: http://ies.jrc.ec.europa.eu/the-institute/units/rural-water-and-ecosystem-resources-unit.html
• Eurostat is collecting and disseminating water statistics, also as a part of WISE data and themes, and provides significant input in the development of the GIS part of WISE and in particular ensuring the link to INSPIRE.
For more information: http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/